Happy Monday! It’s another week for our Virtual Book Club for Kids and this week’s theme is trains! We’re reading The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsberg and sharing fun activities about trains to go along with the story. Be sure to scroll down after reading this post for more activities based on this week’s theme! This week I’m sharing a shape activity for kids that is great for teaching toddlers and preschoolers their shapes.
If you haven’t joined our weekly virtual bookclub for kids you can join here. You’ll gain access to future book club books, themes, and craft supply lists. Plus you can share your own book themed activities in the group!
This Week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids Book
Do you know the story of the Polar Express? A magic train transports children to the north pole on Christmas Eve but one little boy isn’t sure if he still believes. In his pajamas he is taken on a journey full of magical events. Read the book to find out how the Polar Express story ends!
Shapes Preschool Activity
- Constuction paper (blue, black, brown, red)
- Cut out a large rectangle from black paper to make the largest part of the train.
- Cut a smaller rectangle for the cabin of the train.
- Make two circles, one larger than the other, and one square from the red paper.
- Next cut a yellow triangle to put on the base of the front of the train.
- The brown paper is to make train tracks. Cut long strips and short strips of paper.
- Glue the train tracks on the blue paper as shown in the image.
- Glue the largest rectangle, then the smaller rectangle on the blue paper as shown in the image.
- Add the red wheels and square cabin window.
- Place the yellow triangle on the front base of the train.
Your train is ready to go on an adventure! Where will your train go?
More Train Activities:
Polar Express Train Track Letter Puzzle from Adventures of Adam
Beginning Letter Sounds Train Ride from Rainy Day Mum
Spell My Name on a Train from Powerful Mothering
Polar Express Printables-Jingle Bell Count from JDaniel4sMom
Christmas Train from Mama Smiles
Trains & Magnets Sensory Bin from Preschool Powol Packets
Learning Colors by Painting Trains from Views from a Step Stool
Train Ride Yoga from Storytime Corner